Village of Newburg
Meeting of the Committee of the Whole
and Special Meeting of the Board of Trustees
February 27, 2020 at 7pm
Village Hall, 620 W. Main St. Newburg, Wisconsin
OPENING OF MEETING / CALL TO ORDER
PLEDGE OF ALLEGIANCE
CORRECTION AND APPROVAL OF PAST MINUTES
Board of Trustees Meeting – February 13, 2020.
Members of the public are invited to address the Village Board regarding any topic of public concern. Those who wish to speak are asked to complete a written card to register with the clerk. The chairperson will then call on individuals to address the council from the front table in an orderly fashion for up to three minutes each.
A proposal to contract with Stantec Consulting Services for a needs assessment and coordinating plan for building options.
This item was laid over at the January 23, 2020 COW meeting and again at the February 13, 2020 BOT meeting where the board requested a second, lower priced quote for fewer services and a legal opinion from the village attorney identifying any problematic clauses in the proposed contractual agreements between the village and Stantec.
COMMITTEE REPORTS AND ACTIONS
- Building Inspection / Zoning. (Mr. Walt Grotelueschen, Building Inspector/Zoning Admin.)
1.1 General oral report providing updates on issues related to building inspections, permitting, and constructive repairs or developments within the village.
2. Emergency Management. (Mr. Walt Grotelueschen, Emergency Management Dir.)
2.1 A request by Trustee Burkard to revisit and discuss long-term emergency planning as a topic that has not been completely resolved since the 2019 winter thaw flood incidents in Newburg; seeking to identify the process for revising formal emergency response plans.
3. Law Enforcement. (Trustee Marquardt, Chair; with Police Chief Mike Foeger)
Oversee operation of the Police Department, except for disciplinary matters’ review state legislation’; review all license applications; recommend ordinance amendments; as prescribed in ordinance §31.04(3).
3.1 Quarterly report on police operations and general oral report.
4. Public Works. (President Chesak, Chair; with DPW Superintendent Nate Wendelborn)
Responsible for overseeing all public works projects, street maintenance, storm sewers, and maintenance of village parks; works with consultants regarding proposed capital improvements to this system; as prescribed in ordinance §31.04(2).
- General oral report on DPW operations.
- DPW request for board guidance on safety measures to prevent physical injury at the retention pond located at Grotelueschen (Presidents’) Park.
- General oral report on DPW operations.
5. Sanitary Sewer. (Trustee DeLuka, Chair; with Sanitary Seuperintendent Courtney Steger).
Operation and maintenance of the sewer collection and treatment system; works will village consultants in regard to proposed capital improvements to the system; makes periodic reviews of user regulations and service charges; reviews proposed extensions to the system; as prescribed in ordinance §31.04(4).
- General oral report on Sanitary Sewer operations.
- File 2020-4: A resolution on special assessments to village property owners as related to sanitary sewer repair expenses involving lateral piping and connections.
6. Personnel and Finance. (Trustee Stockhausen, Chair; with Admin Deanna Alexander).
Personnel matters involving full-time employees and part-time management staff, such as hiring, discipline, and firing as well as wages for all employees; shall assist in the development of the annual budget; as prescribed in ordinance §31.04(1).
- Presentation of financial reports, bills, and claims.
- A report from the Administrator regarding the employee / contractor status of Mr. Grotelueschen as building inspector, zoning administrator, and emergency management director.
- Discussion of proposed future policy changes to the employee handbook.
OTHER ADMINISTRATIVE REPORTS AND ACTIONS
7. A request by President Chesak to discuss the village’s cost of delivering the Bridges quarterly newsletter.
COMMISSION REPORTS AND ACTIONS
REQUESTS FOR FUTURE AGENDA ITEMS
ADDITIONAL NOTICES: Please know that the governmental body meeting under this notice may take action on items listed in the agenda, including items presented for discussion or in report form for informational purposes.
Please note that it is possible members of other governmental bodies may be in attendance during the meeting referenced in this notice. Although their combined presence may constitute a quorum, no official meeting nor action by any governmental body will be taken other than during its scheduled meeting time as set forth in this meeting notice.
The Village of Newburg intends to provide equal opportunity for everyone to participate in public meetings. Upon reasonable notice, efforts will be made to accommodate the needs of persons with disabilities or special needs through the appropriate aids and services. To request this service, contact the Village Clerk at (262) 675-2160.